Dear HLAA Friends and Supporters,
34 Years of Changing Lives for Consumers with Hearing Loss
November 2014 will mark HLAA’s 35th Anniversary. Because of your outstanding commitment to HLAA, we have successfully grown from a one-man operation to the nation’s leading organization for America’s 48 million consumers with hearing loss. HLAA is the “little engine” that could, and we have accomplished amazing feats with limited resources but a committed base of supporters. We are small in size, but have a huge impact!
Thanks to your support, consumers with hearing loss are a force to be reckoned with, and our voices are being heard — from the halls of Capitol Hill, before federal and state regulatory agencies and departments, with health care professionals, assistive listening device manufacturers, emerging technology companies and in the private sector − loud and clear!
HLAA at the “Tipping Point”
The tipping point, that magic moment, when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire. HLAA is close to that tipping point! We are poised and well-positioned to ensure that hearing loss is recognized by decision-makers and the public as a major public health issue. After 34 years, we are the “go to” organization for leading-edge information, consumer advocacy and resources. Our ability to reach millions of more people with hearing loss, and their families, is on the threshold. But we need your help.
Here is what your financial contribution will do to help push us over that tipping point:
- Support HLAA’s participation, at the highest levels, in a national dialogue on hearing loss, ensuring consumers with hearing loss voices are heard
- Orchestrate a national public awareness campaign on hearing loss and erase the stigma
- Increase HLAA’s outreach to underserved communities and populations across the country
- Increase our technology capacity to increase outreach to consumers with hearing loss including free educational webinars, free online information on technology, and current information on legislation and policy
- Teach consumers how to effectively use assistive and emerging technologies in the workplace, socially, culturally, and traveling in public and private venues − through educational programming
- Provide training to HLAA Chapters, State Organizations and Walk4Hearing leaders and volunteers to grow our membership, increase our clout, standardize our branding and raise the visibility of HLAA
- Educate first responders and health care professionals (including those in hospitals and nursing homes) about how to effectively communicate with people with hearing loss in their treatment and care
- Educate employers about the benefits of hiring and retaining people with hearing loss ‒ especially consumers 50 years of age and older, who have a wealth of professional experience to bring to the workplace
- Increase our advocacy efforts and presence on the federal and state level, and in the private sector
- Ensure that communication technologies are compatible and user-friendly for people with hearing loss through partnerships with emerging and assistive technology companies
- Advocate for communication accessibility that includes looping and captioning in public and private venues
What sets HLAA apart? Our steadfast commitment to you − and all consumers with hearing loss.
HLAA has been successful in our efforts to help people live successfully with hearing loss and change the hearing health care landscape. What is HLAA doing?
- Fighting for more affordable hearing aids, low-cost options and consumer choice in the marketplace
- Supporting Medicare Coverage of Hearing Aids for seniors − no one should have to choose between hearing and basic human needs such as food and medicine
- Working with private and public venues on looping facilities to make them user-friendly, including movie theaters, transportation systems (airports, subways, cabs, trains), cultural, religious and educational facilities
- Seeking transparency in pricing of devices, dispensing services and rehabilitation
- Working to ensure software and cell phone apps help consumers get more benefits from coupling hearing devices and cell phones − including better sound quality
- Ending employment discrimination for consumers with hearing loss
- Raising public awareness and removing the stigma of hearing loss
- Getting ALL movies captioned on the Internet, cell phone and other handheld devices
- Providing peer-to-peer support through robust HLAA Chapters in communities across the country
- And so much more!
HLAA Has Made a Difference for Millions of Consumers with Hearing Loss − So Can You!
Our founder, Rocky Stone, understood that one person can make a profound and lasting difference in the lives of others. HLAA was founded on the idea of self-help, individual choice, and extending a helping hand. As we approach our 35th Anniversary, help us continue to make a difference in the lives of people with hearing loss and their families with a gift that will help us grow to meet the needs of so many − all 48 million of us.
Judy M. said it best, “Finding the Hearing Loss Association of America has literally changed my life.”
HLAA Thanks Our Loyal Supporters - Friends Like You - Who Choose to Make a Difference
Your Financial Support Today Can Change Lives
You are one of HLAA’s strongest supporters and I thank you for your continued generous support. In this season of hope and joy please consider a generous contribution to HLAA and support current and future generations of people with hearing loss. Your support at any level will make a difference. Thank you!
Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season!
With my personal appreciation,
Anna Gilmore Hall
PS − You can double your donation − free − with a Matching Gift from your employer.
PPS − Take advantage of special end-of-year tax benefits with a gift of stock, or through
the IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution program which Ends December 31, 2013.
Your contribution is fully tax-deductible as allowed by law.